5 on 5 Soccer Rules
Current High School Federation Rules will govern play. Intramural policies, procedures, eligibility requirements, etc., and specific rule modifications will take precedent.
- Each team shall consist of five players, one of whom shall be the goalkeeper. Teams must have at least four players at the designated time of the contest, or the game will be Teams must have at least four players to continue.
- There is no limit on the number of You may only sub when your team has possession of the ball during a stoppage of play in the game on a corner kick. Either team may substitute during a stoppage of play in the game on a goal kick, throw in, after a score, when a player is cautioned, when a player is injured, or when a player is disqualified.
- Officials must be notified of a substitution before it is
- A goalkeeper may be changed during a stoppage of play. The referee must be notified prior to the
- If a player enters the field of play without notifying the referee, an indirect kick will be taken at the point where the ball lies at that time, and a yellow card will be issued to that
- A player shall not wear anything that is dangerous to another player on the field (i.e. loose chains, rings, watches, headwear that contains any hard, stiff material including billed hats or items containing exposed knots). ALL JEWELRY MUST BE REMOVED. Participants wearing illegal equipment will be required to sub off (whether a sub is available or not) until the next substitution opportunity after the jewelry is removed. THIS INCLUDES ALL EARRINGS. If you
are wearing any type of cast you will not be allowed to play. Braces must be covered and padded. All shin guards made of hard substances (plastic etc.) must be covered entirely by stockings.
- Players must wear athletic type shoes that cover the foot completely. Sandals, boots, and open toe shoes are NOT Cleats are limited to studs or projections that do not exceed ½ inch
in length and are made with nonabrasive rubber or rubbertype synthetic material that does not chip or develop a cutting edge. Baseball cleats are not allowed. The Intramural Sport Supervisor will have final judgment on legal footwear and is not protestable.
- The goalkeeper must wear a color of shirt that distinguishes him/her as a
- The game shall consist of two equal periods of 25 minutes each; with a five minute halftime. The clock will only be stopped if the referee has to discontinue the game or if a player is THERE ARE NO TIME OUTS.
- Halftime the teams switch
- The choice of ends or possession of ball is determined by the flip of a
- On the kickoff:
- Each team shall be in their own field of
- The team that is not kicking off shall be 7 yards away from the
- If it does not go forward, the kick off is
- The player to first kick the ball shall not be allowed to touch the ball a second time until another player has touched it. If the first player takes a second touch when the ball is in play, an indirect kick shall be awarded to the opposing team at the point of
- No slidetackling is allowed. Players may not leave their feet or slide when executing a tackle. Any infraction of this rule will result in an indirect free kick for the opposing team. It is not an infraction for the goalie to dive or slide to make a save or for a player to slide in the act of shooting provided they are not putting another player in danger when doing so.
- A drop ball shall be used to start the game in case of an injury, an outside agent stopping the game, or a mistaken call by the referee, unless there was clear possession established by either team; in which case possession will stay with that team. The ball must touch the ground before a player may touch
- The goalkeeper can either throw or kick the ball. Drop kicks are not allowed. The goalkeeper must put the ball into play on his or her own half of the field only (the ball must either be touched by a player or touch the ground on the goalkeeper’s half). Violation will result in an indirect kick for the opposing team at the spot where the ball crossed the
- The goalkeeper may not hold the ball for more than six (6) During that interval, the goalkeeper may hold the ball, bounce it, or throw it in the air and catch it. Failure to relinquish the ball will result in an indirect kick for the opponent from the penalty kick line nearest the violation.
- On any occasion when a player deliberately kicks the ball to her/his own goalkeeper, the goalkeeper is not permitted to touch it with her/his
- Tie scores in regular season will be recorded as
- In case of a tie score at the end of regulation play during playoffs, two (2) five (5) minute sudden death periods will be played with teams changing ends after each period. If no one scores, each team will take five (5) consecutive penalty shots from the ten (10) yard penalty mark spot, using only players on the field of play at the end of regulation play (goalie also stays the same). If the game is still tied, sets of penalty shots are taken until a winner is determined and teams may change goalies if they
- Mercy Rule If one team is ahead by seven (7) goals at halftime or anytime in the second half, the game is
- Any player who is bleeding must be substituted for until the bleeding stops. An intramural supervisor or game official has the authority to remove the player. If by removing the player who is bleeding, the team falls below the minimum number necessary to play (4), the following will apply:
The game clock will stop and a maximum of five (5) minutes will be allowed for the player to stop the bleeding. Either an intramural staff member or game official must approve the player to re enter.
If the bleeding is not stopped within the allotted five (5) minutes the team will forfeit the game. THE TIME ALLOWANCE IS ONLY FOR PLAYERS WHO ARE BLEEDING, AND THE TEAM CANNOT CONTINUE TO PLAY WITHOUT THEM.
- THERE IS NO OFFSIDE IN INTRAMURAL 5 ON 5 SOCCER